Card making can be very addictive and you may soon get to the point where you are making more cards than you can use yourself. The answer is to sell some of your cards. It is unlikely that you will make much more than pin money from your cards. However, if you donate your profits to charity your customers will be more willing to pay a realistic price and you get a warm feeling from your hobby. It also gives you a good reason to buy more card making goodies. Here are some ways you could sell your cards.
1. Keep a box of hand made cards on view at home. Your visiting friends may become your customers.
2. Take a box of cards to coffee mornings. They will make an interesting talking point and your friends are likely to be your best customers.
3. If you belong to a club or society you could take a box of cards along to each meeting. This works well if you are selling your cards for charity.
4. Keep a box of cards on view at work. This will let your co-workers know that you make cards and may lead to sales and special commissions.
5. Put a “Hand made by” message on the back of your cards. This lets people know you are a card maker. It could lead to commissions from your customersâ€™ friends.
6. Send hand made cards to your friends and relatives on their special occasions. When they thank you for the card you can mention that you also sell cards.
7. Take a table at a local event such as your childâ€™s school fete. For these events it would be good if you could get together with a couple of craft friends and share a table. A packed display will create more interest.
8. If you have an outgoing personality you could offer to demonstrate card making to a club that you are associated with. This could lead to commissions.
9. Relatives may sell on your behalf. For example your spouse/son/daughter could take a box of cards to work. Their male colleagues would particularly appreciate the chance to buy cards for their loved ones without having to go around the shops.
10. Keep a pack of cards in your bag/car. Once your card making reputation has spread you never know when you may be asked for a card. This is particularly the case when someone has forgotten an important birthday and do not have time to get to the shops.
How do you sell your cards? Please let us know what works best for you.